Document Type: Original Article
Department of Neurology, School of Medicine, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran Isfahan Neurosciences Research Center, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Department of Neurology, School of Medicine, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Background: Peripheral nerve ultrasound(US) has been used as a promising diagnosing technique for peripheral nerve disorders. This study aimed to compare the US findings of Guillain-Barre syndrome (GBS) with chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP).
Methods: This case-control study was done on 25 patients with GBS at 3 weeks after onset of disease and 25 patients with CIDP. Demographic information and US results of median nerve at 2 points, ulnar nerve at 3 points, and tibial and peroneal nerves were collected.
Results: Left median nerve diameter in patients with CIDP with the mean of 0.141 ± 0.047 was more than GBS group with the mean of 0.095 ± 0.034 (P < 0.001). Both sides of median nerve diameter in patients with CIDP were higher than patients with GBS (P < 0.05), but in the left side, it was more in patients with CIDP (P = 0.003).
Conclusion: The diameter and circumference of median, ulnar, and tibial nerves in forearm and elbow of patients with CIDP are more than patients with GBS; therefore, it may be possible to use US findings based on these differences in diagnosis and differentiation of the two diseases.
- Yuki N, Hartung HP. Guillain-Barre syndrome. N Engl J Med 2012; 366(24): 2294-304.
- Goedee HS, Brekelmans GJ, van Asseldonk JT, Beekman R, Mess WH, Visser LH. High resolution sonography in the evaluation of the peripheral nervous system in polyneuropathy--a review of the literature. Eur J Neurol 2013; 20(10): 1342-51.
- Mori A, Nodera H, Takamatsu N, Maruyama-Saladini K, Osaki Y, Shimatani Y, et al. Sonographic evaluation of peripheral nerves in subtypes of Guillain-Barre syndrome. J Neurol Sci 2016; 364: 154-9.
- Pitarokoili K, Kronlage M, Baumer P, Schwarz D, Gold R, Bendszus M, et al. High-resolution nerve ultrasound and magnetic resonance neurography as complementary neuroimaging tools for chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy. Ther Adv Neurol Disord 2018; 11: 1756286418759974.
- Soliven B, Graus F. Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy. MedLink Neurology [Online]. [cited 2020 Oct 10]; Available from: URL: https://www.medlink.com/article/chronic_inflammatory_demyelinating_polyradiculoneuropathy
- Kerasnoudis A, Pitarokoili K, Behrendt V, Gold R. Nerve ultrasound score in distinguishing chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy from Guillain-Barre syndrome. J Neurol Sci 2013; 333: e442-e443.
- Wilder-Smith EP. Swollen nerves slimming: Sequential nerve ultrasound in acute Guillain-Barre syndrome. Clin Neurophysiol 2016; 127(2): 1013-4.
- Grimm A, Decard BF, Axer H. Ultrasonography of the peripheral nervous system in the early stage of Guillain-Barre syndrome. J Peripher Nerv Syst 2014; 19(3): 234-41.
- Koller H, Kieseier BC, Jander S, Hartung HP. Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy. N Engl J Med 2005; 352(13): 1343-56.
- Vallat JM, Sommer C, Magy L. Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy: Diagnostic and therapeutic challenges for a treatable condition. Lancet Neurol 2010; 9(4): 402-12.
- Dalakas MC. Advances in the diagnosis, pathogenesis and treatment of CIDP. Nat Rev Neurol 2011; 7(9): 507-17.
- Matsuoka N, Kohriyama T, Ochi K, Nishitani M, Sueda Y, Mimori Y, et al. Detection of cervical nerve root hypertrophy by ultrasonography in chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy. J Neurol Sci 2004; 219(1-2): 15-21.
- Goedee HS, Brekelmans GJ, Visser LH. Multifocal enlargement and increased vascularization of peripheral nerves detected by sonography in CIDP: a pilot study. Clin Neurophysiol 2014; 125(1): 154-9.
- Zaidman CM, Al-Lozi M, Pestronk A. Peripheral nerve size in normals and patients with polyneuropathy: an ultrasound study. Muscle Nerve 2009; 40(6): 960-6.
- Scheidl E, Bohm J, Simo M, Bereznai B, Bereczki D, Aranyi Z. Different patterns of nerve enlargement in polyneuropathy subtypes as detected by ultrasonography. Ultrasound Med Biol 2014; 40(6): 1138-45.
- Grimm A, Heiling B, Schumacher U, Witte OW, Axer H. Ultrasound differentiation of axonal and demyelinating neuropathies. Muscle Nerve 2014; 50(6): 976-83.
- Kerasnoudis A, Pitarokoili K, Behrendt V, Gold R, Yoon MS. Correlation of nerve ultrasound, electrophysiological and clinical findings in chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy. J Neuroimaging 2015; 25(2): 207-16.
- Padua L, Granata G, Sabatelli M, Inghilleri M, Lucchetta M, Luigetti M, et al. Heterogeneity of root and nerve ultrasound pattern in CIDP patients. Clin Neurophysiol 2014; 125(1): 160-5.