Document Type : Original Article
- Mohammad Mahdi Peighambari 1
- Firoozeh Moradkarami 2
- Anita Sadeghpour 2
- Bahador Baharestani 3
- Alireza Ghavidel 4
- Behshid Ghadrdoost 2
- Masoud Etemadifar 5
- Mohaddeseh Behjati 2
1 Cardiovascular Intervention Research Center, Rajaie Cardiovascular, Medical, and Research Center, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
2 Echocardiography Research Center, Rajaie Cardiovascular, Medical, and Research Center, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
3 Cardiac Electrophysiology Research Center, Rajaie Cardiovascular, Medical, and Research Center, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
4 Heart Valve Research Center, Rajaie Cardiovascular, Medical, and Research Center, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
5 Department of Cardiology, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Background: Several surgical procedures such as excision or exclusion are recommended for the closure of the left atrial appendage (LAA). This study was conducted with the aim to evaluate the success rate of different surgical techniques for LAA closure, their respective complications, and the rate of post-surgical cerebrovascular accident (CVA).
Methods: This retrospective study included 150 consecutive patients who underwent LAA closure most commonly after mitral valve surgery within 3 to 6 months after surgery. An expert echocardiographic fellow collected the data on patients’ surgical LAA closure methods and history of CVA, types of prosthetic valves, mortality, and bleeding.
Results: The failure rate for complete LAA closure was 36.7% (55 patients) in our study. The greatest success rate of complete LAA closure was seen in purse-string method (75.5%), followed by resection method (71.4%), while the lowest success rate (≈ 33.3%) was observed in ligation method. A significant relationship was observed between clots on the surface of metallic valve and postoperative CVA (P = 0.001; likelihood ratio: 32).
In multivariate analysis, there was also no statistically significant relationship between partial LAA closure and the incidence of post-surgical CVA (P > 0.050).
Conclusion: We observed the highest success rate of complete LAA closure in purse-string method followed by resection method. Interestingly, our results showed that despite the higher rate of residual LAA clot in cases of partial LAA closure, the occurrence of post-surgical CVA was mostly related to the presence of clots on the surface of metallic mitral prostheses rather than the presence of partial LAA closure.
- Singh IM, Holmes DR. Left atrial appendage closure. Curr Cardiol Rep 2010; 12(5): 413-21.
- Leal S, Moreno R, de Sousa AM, Silva JA, Lopez-Sendon JL. Evidence-based percutaneous closure of the left atrial appendage in patients with atrial fibrillation. Curr Cardiol Rev 2012; 8(1): 37-42.
- Melduni RM, Schaff HV, Lee HC, Gersh BJ, Noseworthy PA, Bailey KR, et al. Impact of left atrial appendage closure during cardiac surgery on the occurrence of early postoperative atrial fibrillation, stroke, and mortality: A propensity score-matched analysis of 10 633 patients. Circulation 2017; 135(4): 366-78.
- Dulli DA, Stanko H, Levine RL. Atrial fibrillation is associated with severe acute ischemic stroke. Neuroepidemiology 2003; 22(2): 118-23.
- Garcia-Fernandez MA, Perez-David E, Quiles J, Peralta J, Garcia-Rojas I, Bermejo J, et al. Role of left atrial appendage obliteration in stroke reduction in patients with mitral valve prosthesis: A transesophageal echocardiographic study. J Am Coll Cardiol 2003; 42(7): 1253-8.
- Sakellaridis T, Argiriou M, Charitos C, Tsakiridis K, Zarogoulidis P, Katsikogiannis N, et al. Left atrial appendage exclusion-Where do we stand? J Thorac Dis 2014; 6 Suppl 1: S70-S77.
- Madden JL. Resection of the left auricular appendix; a prophylaxis for recurrent arterial emboli. J Am Med Assoc 1949; 140(9): 769-72.
- Leithauser B, Park JW. Cardioembolic stroke in atrial fibrillation-rationale for preventive closure of the left atrial appendage. Korean Circ J 2009; 39(11): 443-58.
- January CT, Wann LS, Alpert JS, Calkins H, Cigarroa JE, Cleveland JC, et al. 2014 AHA/ACC/HRS guideline for the management of patients with atrial fibrillation: A report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on practice guidelines and the Heart Rhythm Society. Circulation 2014; 130(23): e199-e267.
- Kleinebrecht L, Veulemans V, Polzin A, Kelm M, Zeus T. Percutaneous closure of a left atrial appendage with relevant suture dehiscence. Neth Heart J 2017; 25(2): 152-4.
- Mirow N, Vogt S, Irqsusi M, Moosdorf R, Kirschbaum A. Epicardial left atrial appendage closure-comparison of surgical techniques in an ex vivo model. J Thorac Dis 2017; 9(3): 757-61.
- Kanderian AS, Gillinov AM, Pettersson GB, Blackstone E, Klein AL. Success of surgical left atrial appendage closure: assessment by transesophageal echocardiography. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008; 52(11): 924-9.
- Aryana A, Bhaskar R. Incomplete surgical ligation of the left atrial appendage-time for a new look at an old problem. Ann Transl Med 2017; 5(6): 141.
- Kiavar M, Sadeghpour A, Bakhshandeh H, Tayyebi P, Bassiri HA, Esmaeilzadeh M, et al. Are prosthetic heart valve fibrin strands negligible? The associations and significance. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2009; 22(8): 890-4.
- Katz ES, Tsiamtsiouris T, Applebaum RM, Schwartzbard A, Tunick PA, Kronzon I. Surgical left atrial appendage ligation is frequently incomplete: a transesophageal echocardiograhic study. J Am Coll Cardiol 2000; 36(2): 468-71.
- Healey JS, Crystal E, Lamy A, Teoh K, Semelhago L, Hohnloser SH, et al. Left Atrial Appendage Occlusion Study (LAAOS): Results of a randomized controlled pilot study of left atrial appendage occlusion during coronary bypass surgery in patients at risk for stroke. Am Heart J 2005; 150(2): 288-93.
- Squiers JJ, Edgerton JR. Surgical closure of the left atrial appendage: The past, the present, the future. J Atr Fibrillation 2018; 10(5): 1642.
- Sick PB, Schuler G, Hauptmann KE, Grube E, Yakubov S, Turi ZG, et al. Initial worldwide experience with the WATCHMAN left atrial appendage system for stroke prevention in atrial fibrillation. J Am Coll Cardiol 2007; 49(13): 1490-5.