Document Type : Original Article
Department of Ophthalmology, Konya City Hospital, Konya, Turkey
Department of Ophthalmology, Suleyman Demirel University, Isparta, Turkey
Background: This study was conducted to review the demographic and clinical characteristics, treatment protocols, and visual outcomes of patients with optic neuropathy.
Methods: This historical cohort study analyzed the clinical features of 91 patients with optic neuropathy followed up for three years at a university hospital in Turkey.
Results: Non-arteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy (NA-AION) was the most common group among the optic neuropathy subgroups (47.2%), and optic neuritis (ON) was the second most common group (38.5%). The mean age of symptom onset for NA-AION was 64.97 ± 12.15 years, significantly higher than the mean age of onset for ON (40.28 ± 15.52 years). Most of the patients with NA-AION had at least one systemic disease causing microangiopathy [51.1% had diabetes mellitus (DM), 33.3% had hypertension (HTN)]. Among the patients with ON, 51.4% were idiopathic, and 25.7% were multiple sclerosis (MS)-related ON cases. Patients with ischemic optic neuropathy (ION), ON, and traumatic optic neuropathy received pulse intravenous (IV) corticosteroids, and eleven patients with NA-AION received acetylsalicylic acid (ASA) therapy in addition to corticosteroids. There was a statistically significant increase in visual acuity in NA-AION and ON groups (P = 0.019). It was observed that the cases of ON peaked in the winter months in Turkey.
Conclusion: In the differential diagnosis between NA-AION and idiopathic ON, the presence of one or more vascular systemic diseases and mean age may be the main factors. IV steroid treatment given to patients with NA-AION in the acute phase may significantly improve visual acuity.
- Dworak DP, Nichols J. A review of optic neuropathies. Disease-a-Month 2014; 60(6): 276-81.
- Buompadre MC. Acute optic neuropathy: Differential diagnoses. Rev Neurol 2013; 57(Suppl 1): S139-47. [In Spanish].
- Karti O, Karti DT, Kilic IH, Gokcay F, Celebisoy N. Baseline demographics, clinical features, and treatment protocols of 240 patients with optic neuropathy: experiences from a neuro-ophthalmological clinic in the Aegean region of Turkey. Int Ophthalmol 2019; 39(1): 155-66.
- Pau D, Al Zubidi N, Yalamanchili S, Plant GT, Lee AG. Optic neuritis. Eye (Lond) 2011; 25(7): 833-42.
- Beck RW, Hayreh SS, Podhajsky PA, Tan ES, Moke PS. Aspirin therapy in nonarteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy. Am J Ophthalmol 1997; 123(2): 212-7.
- Hayreh SS, Podhajsky P, Zimmerman MB. Role of nocturnal arterial hypotension in optic nerve head ischemic disorders. Ophthalmologica 1999; 213(2): 76-96.
- Dickersin K, Everett D; Feldon S; Hooper F, Kaufman D, Kelman S, et al. Optic nerve decompression surgery for nonarteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy (NAION) is not effective and may be harmful. The Ischemic Optic Neuropathy Decompression Trial Research Group. JAMA 1995; 273(8): 625-32.
- Hayreh SS, Zimmerman MB. Non-arteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy: role of systemic corticosteroid therapy. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 2008; 246(7): 1029-46.
- Kaderli B, Avci R, Yucel A, Guler K, Gelisken O. Intravitreal triamcinolone improves recovery of visual acuity in nonarteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy. J Neuroophthalmol 2007; 27(3): 164-8.
- Hayreh SS. Ischemic optic neuropathy. Prog Retin Eye Res 2009; 28(1): 34-62.
- Choy BNK, Ng ALK, Lai JSM. Clinical characteristics of optic neuritis in Hong Kong population: 10-year review. Int Ophthalmol 2018; 38(2): 557-64.
- Hickman SJ, Toosy AT, Miszkiel KA, Jones SJ, Altmann DR, MacManus DG, et al. Visual recovery following acute optic neuritis--a clinical, electrophysiological and magnetic resonance imaging study. J Neurol 2004; 251(8): 996-1005.
- Lin YC, Yen MY, Hsu WM, Lee HC, Wang AG. Low conversion rate to multiple sclerosis in idiopathic optic neuritis patients in Taiwan. Jpn J Ophthalmol 2006; 50(2): 170-5.
- Biousse V, Newman NJ. Diagnosis and clinical features of common optic neuropathies. Lancet Neurol 2016; 15(13): 1355-67.
- Kashkouli MB, Yousefi S, Nojomi M, Sanjari MS, Pakdel F, Entezari M, et al. Traumatic optic neuropathy treatment trial (TONTT): Open label, phase 3, multicenter, semi-experimental trial. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 2018; 256(1): 209-18.
- Vuong LN, Hedges TR. Ganglion cell layer complex measurements in compressive optic neuropathy. Curr Opin Ophthalmol 2017; 28(6): 573-8.
- Takkar A, Naheed D, Dogra M, Goyal MK, Singh R, Gupta N, et al. Infiltrative optic neuropathies: opening doors to sinister pathologies. Neuroophthalmology 2017; 41(5): 279-83.
- Sadun AA. Metabolic optic neuropathies. Semin Ophthalmol 2002; 17(1): 29-32.
- Hayreh SS, Zimmerman B. Management of giant cell arteritis. Our 27-year clinical study: New light on old controversies. Ophthalmologica 2003; 217(4): 239-59.
- Preechawat P, Bruce BB, Newman NJ, Biousse V. Anterior ischemic optic neuropathy in patients younger than 50 years. Am J Ophthalmol 2007; 144(6): 953-60.
- Optic Neuritis Study Group. The clinical profile of optic neuritis. Experience of the Optic Neuritis Treatment Trial. Optic Neuritis Study Group. Arch Ophthalmol 1991; 109(12): 1673-8.
- Prokosch V, Thanos S. Visual outcome of patients following NAION after treatment with adjunctive fluocortolone. Restor Neurol Neurosci 2014; 32(3): 381-9.
- Pakravan M, Esfandiari H, Hassanpour K, Razavi S, Pakravan P. The effect of combined systemic erythropoietin and steroid on non-arteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy: A prospective study. Curr Eye Res 2017; 42(7): 1079-84.
- Rebolleda G, Perez-Lopez M, Casas-LLera P, Contreras I, Munoz-Negrete FJ. Visual and anatomical outcomes of non-arteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy with high-dose systemic corticosteroids. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 2013; 251(1): 255-60.