Document Type : Original Article
Department of Neurology, School of Medicine, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
National Institute of Health Research, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Background: Levetiracetam (LEV) is approved for treating epilepsy. The current evidence shows that LEV can cause behavioral problems such as depression. It is well-known that depression is associated with oxidative stress. Therefore, we conducted this study to assess the influence of LEV on depression severity and anti-oxidant status.
Methods: In this prospective longitudinal study, 50 patients with diagnosis of epilepsy on LEV were included. We used Beck Depression Inventory-II (BDI-II) to assess depression severity. The serum levels of zinc and glutathione were measured as anti-oxidant markers. These variables were evaluated at the baseline and 3 months after the commencement of LEV.
Results: A total of 30 patients finished the follow-up. Among them, 21 patients were women. The mean age at baseline was 28.76 ± 11.37 (range: 16-68 years). The severity of depression at the last follow-up was significantly higher than the baseline. We observed a decrease in the serum levels of zinc and glutathione, though they were not statistically significant.
Conclusion: Our results suggest that LEV can increase the risk of depression in patients with epilepsy. This study also suggests that zinc depletion can be induced through act of LEV. Further studies are needed to validate these findings
- Sills GJ, Rogawski MA. Mechanisms of action of currently used antiseizure drugs. Neuropharmacology 2020; 168: 107966.
- Manreza MLG, Pan TA, Carbone EQ, Vattimo ACA, Herrera R, Morais DC, et al. Efficacy and safety of levetiracetam as adjunctive therapy for refractory focal epilepsy. Arq Neuropsiquiatr 2021; 79(4): 290-8.
- Marson A, Burnside G, Appleton R, Smith D, Leach JP, Sills G, et al. The SANAD II study of the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of levetiracetam, zonisamide, or lamotrigine for newly diagnosed focal epilepsy: An open-label, non-inferiority, multicentre, phase 4, randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2021; 397(10282): 1363-74.
- Lee SK, Lee SA, Kim DW, Loesch C, Pelgrims B, Osakabe T, et al. A randomized, open-label, multicenter comparative trial of levetiracetam and topiramate as adjunctive treatment for patients with focal epilepsy in Korea. Epilepsy Behav 2019; 97: 67-74.
- Steinhoff BJ, Klein P, Klitgaard H, Laloyaux C, Moseley BD, Ricchetti-Masterson K, et al. Behavioral adverse events with brivaracetam, levetiracetam, perampanel, and topiramate: A systematic review. Epilepsy Behav 2021; 118: 107939.
- Chung S, Williams B, Dobrinsky C, Patten A, Yang H, Laurenza A. Perampanel with concomitant levetiracetam and topiramate: Post hoc analysis of adverse events related to hostility and aggression. Epilepsy Behav 2017; 75: 79-85.
- Schmidt D, Schachter SC. Drug treatment of epilepsy in adults. BMJ 2014; 348: g254.
- Varoglu AO, Yildirim A, Aygul R, Gundogdu OL, Sahin YN. Effects of valproate, carbamazepine, and levetiracetam on the antioxidant and oxidant systems in epileptic patients and their clinical importance. Clin Neuropharmacol 2010; 33(3): 155-7.
- Sarangi SC, Kakkar AK, Kumar R, Gupta YK. Effect of lamotrigine, levetiracetam & topiramate on neurobehavioural parameters & oxidative stress in comparison with valproate in rats. Indian J Med Res 2016; 144(1): 104-11.
- Baysal M, Ilgin S, Kilic G, Kilic V, Ucarcan S, Atli O. Reproductive toxicity after levetiracetam administration in male rats: Evidence for role of hormonal status and oxidative stress. PLoS One 2017; 12(4): e0175990.
- de Albuquerque Oliveira A, Linhares MI, Filho AJ MC, Rios ERV, de Carvalho Lima CN, Venancio ET, et al. Antioxidant properties of antiepileptic drugs levetiracetam and clonazepam in mice brain after in vitro-induced oxidative stress. Afr J Pharm Pharmacol 2016; 10(14): 278-88.
- Ueda Y, Doi T, Takaki M, Nagatomo K, Nakajima A, Willmore LJ. Levetiracetam enhances endogenous antioxidant in the hippocampus of rats: In vivo evaluation by brain microdialysis combined with ESR spectroscopy. Brain Res 2009; 1266: 1-7.
- Mahdavi A, Naeini AA, Najafi M, Maracy M, Ghazvini MA. Effect of levetiracetam drug on antioxidant and liver enzymes in epileptic patients: Case-control study. Afr Health Sci 2020; 20(2): 984-90.
- Morimoto M, Satomura S, Hashimoto T, Kyotani S. A study of oxidative stress and the newer antiepileptic drugs in epilepsy associated with severe motor and intellectual disabilities. J Chin Med Assoc 2017; 80(1): 19-28.
- Forman HJ, Zhang H, Rinna A. Glutathione: Overview of its protective roles, measurement, and biosynthesis. Mol Aspects Med 2009; 30(1-2): 1-12.
- Gaucher C, Boudier A, Bonetti J, Clarot I, Leroy P, Parent M. Glutathione: Antioxidant properties dedicated to nanotechnologies. Antioxidants (Basel) 2018; 7(5): 62.
- Kung HC, Lin KJ, Kung CT, Lin TK. Oxidative stress, mitochondrial dysfunction, and neuroprotection of polyphenols with respect to resveratrol in Parkinson's disease. Biomedicines 2021; 9(8): 918.
- Olla S, Steri M, Formato A, Whalen MB, Corbisiero S, Agresti C. Combining human genetics of multiple sclerosis with oxidative stress phenotype for drug repositioning. Pharmaceutics 2021; 13(12): 2064.
- El-Bahr SM, Shousha S, Albokhadaim I, Shehab A, Khattab W, Ahmed-Farid O, et al. Impact of dietary zinc oxide nanoparticles on selected serum biomarkers, lipid peroxidation and tissue gene expression of antioxidant enzymes and cytokines in Japanese quail. BMC Vet Res 2020; 16(1): 349.
- Barbosa ML, de Meneses AAPM, de Aguiar RPS, de Castro e Sousa JM, de Carvalho Melo Cavalcante AA, Maluf SW. Oxidative stress, antioxidant defense and depressive disorders: A systematic review of biochemical and molecular markers. Neurology, Psychiatry and Brain Research 2020; 36: 65-72.
- Nucifora LG, Tanaka T, Hayes LN, Kim M, Lee BJ, Matsuda T, et al. Reduction of plasma glutathione in psychosis associated with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder in translational psychiatry. Transl Psychiatry 2017; 7(8): e1215.
- Zalachoras I, Hollis F, Ramos-Fernandez E, Trovo L, Sonnay S, Geiser E, et al. Therapeutic potential of glutathione-enhancers in stress-related psychopathologies. Neurosci Biobehav Rev 2020; 114: 134-55.
- Yosaee S, Clark CCT, Keshtkaran Z, Ashourpour M, Keshani P, Soltani S. Zinc in depression: From development to treatment: A comparative/ dose response meta-analysis of observational studies and randomized controlled trials. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 2022; 74: 110-7.
- da Silva LEM, de Santana MLP, Costa PRF, Pereira EM, Nepomuceno CMM, Queiroz VAO, et al. Zinc supplementation combined with antidepressant drugs for treatment of patients with depression: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Nutr Rev 2021; 79(1): 1-12.
- Ghassemzadeh H, Mojtabai R, Karamghadiri N, Ebrahimkhani N. Psychometric properties of a Persian-language version of the Beck Depression Inventory--Second edition: BDI-II-PERSIAN. Depress Anxiety 2005; 21(4): 185-92.
- Beck AT, Steer RA, Ball R, Ranieri W. Comparison of Beck Depression Inventories -IA and -II in psychiatric outpatients. J Pers Assess 1996; 67(3): 588-97.
- Mula M, Trimble MR, Yuen A, Liu RS, Sander JW. Psychiatric adverse events during levetiracetam therapy. Neurology 2003; 61(5): 704-6.
- White JR, Walczak TS, Leppik IE, Rarick J, Tran T, Beniak TE, et al. Discontinuation of levetiracetam because of behavioral side effects: A case-control study. Neurology 2003; 61(9): 1218-21.
- Helmstaedter C, Mihov Y, Toliat MR, Thiele H, Nuernberg P, Schoch S, et al. Genetic variation in dopaminergic activity is associated with the risk for psychiatric side effects of levetiracetam. Epilepsia 2013; 54(1): 36-44.
- Taylor WD, Zald DH, Felger JC, Christman S, Claassen DO, Horga G, et al. Influences of dopaminergic system dysfunction on late-life depression. Mol Psychiatry 2022; 27(1): 180-91.
- Hasbi A, Nguyen T, Rahal H, Manduca JD, Miksys S, Tyndale RF, et al. Sex difference in dopamine D1-D2 receptor complex expression and signaling affects depression- and anxiety-like behaviors. Biol Sex Differ 2020; 11(1): 8.
- Mazza M, Martini A, Scoppetta M, Mazza S. Effect of levetiracetam on depression and anxiety in adult epileptic patients. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 2008; 32(2): 539-43.
- Hagemann A, May TW, Nieder E, Witte-Bolt K, Pohlmann-Eden B, Elger CE, et al. Quality of life, anxiety and depression in adult patients after add-on of levetiracetam and conversion to levetiracetam monotherapy. Epilepsy Res 2013; 104(1-2): 140-50.
- Castro-Gago M, Perez-Gay L, Gomez-Lado C, Castineiras-Ramos DE, Otero-Martinez S, Rodriguez-Segade S. The influence of valproic acid and carbamazepine treatment on serum biotin and zinc levels and on biotinidase activity. J Child Neurol 2011; 26(12): 1522-4.
- Sarangi SC, Tripathi M, Kakkar AK, Gupta YK. Effect of antiepileptic therapy on trace elements status in Indian population in a tertiary care hospital from northern India: a cross sectional study. Epilepsy Res 2014; 108(5): 917-27.
- Vajiheh A, Zahra GK, Andisheh M, Padideh G. Role of zinc supplementation in the treatment of levetiracetam-induced hair loss: A case series. J Pharm Care 2017; 4(1-2): 44-5.
- Zou X, Hong Z, Zhou D. Hair loss with levetiracetam in five patients with epilepsy. Seizure 2014; 23(2): 158-60.
- Mlyniec K. Zinc in the Glutamatergic Theory of Depression. Curr Neuropharmacol 2015; 13(4): 505-13.
- Palm R, Hallmans G. Zinc and copper metabolism in phenytoin therapy. Epilepsia 1982; 23(5): 453-61.
- Marreiro DD, Cruz KJ, Morais JB, Beserra JB, Severo JS, de Oliveira AR. Zinc and Oxidative Stress: Current Mechanisms. Antioxidants (Basel) 2017; 6(2): 24.
- Prasad AS. Zinc is an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent: Its role in human health. Front Nutr 2014; 1: 14.
- Mueller SG, Trabesinger AH, Boesiger P, Wieser HG. Brain glutathione levels in patients with epilepsy measured by in vivo (1)H-MRS. Neurology 2001; 57(8): 1422-7.
- Wang M, Zhang X, Jia W, Zhang C, Boczek T, Harding M, et al. Circulating glutathione peroxidase and superoxide dismutase levels in patients with epilepsy: A meta-analysis. Seizure 2021; 91: 278-86.
- Gibbs JE, Walker MC, Cock HR. Levetiracetam: antiepileptic properties and protective effects on mitochondrial dysfunction in experimental status epilepticus. Epilepsia 2006; 47(3): 469-78.
- Oliveira AA, Almeida JP, Freitas RM, Nascimento VS, Aguiar LM, Junior HV, et al. Effects of levetiracetam in lipid peroxidation level, nitrite-nitrate formation and antioxidant enzymatic activity in mice brain after pilocarpine-induced seizures. Cell Mol Neurobiol 2007; 27(3): 395-406.
- Menon B, Ramalingam K, Kumar RV. Low plasma antioxidant status in patients with epilepsy and the role of antiepileptic drugs on oxidative stress. Ann Indian Acad Neurol 2014; 17(4): 398-404.