Document Type : Original Article
1 Iranian Center of Neurological Research, Neuroscience Institute, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
2 Department of Neurology, School of Medicine, Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz, Iran
Background: Migraine is considered as one of the most common and disabling diseases of the nervous system that has a great impact on quality of life (QOL) and a little risk of neurologic complications such as stroke. Migraine aura is known to be the result of cortical spreading depression and is associated with higher risk of this complication. Thus, the present study was conducted with the aim to compare the effects of topiramate as an antiepileptic, and propranolol in patients with migraine with aura.
Methods: The present randomized clinical trial was conducted on patients with migraine with aura referred to the neurology clinic of Golestan Hospital, Ahvaz, Iran, in the period of 2019-2020. The patients were randomized into two groups and received either topiramate or propranolol. The Migraine Disability Assessment Scale (MIDAS) score was evaluated before and at the end of three months after initiating the treatment.
Results: Reduction in the MIDAS score in patients taking topiramate (-16.94) was greater than that in the propranolol group (-14.5), but this difference was not statistically significant (P > 0.005). No significant relationship was found between gender and changes in the MIDAS score after the treatment of both groups (P > 0.050). However, the changes in the MIDAS score were greater in younger patients, and this relationship was statistically significant (P < 0.050).
Conclusion: There was no significant difference in the efficacy of topiramate and propranolol in patients with migraine with aura. No significant relationship was found between gender and changes in the MIDAS score after the treatment in both groups, but the reduction in the MIDAS scores was significantly higher in younger patients of both groups.
- Bohm PE, Stancampiano FF, Rozen TD. Migraine headache: Updates and future developments. Mayo Clin Proc 2018; 93(11): 1648-53.
- Mayans L, Walling A. Acute migraine headache: Treatment strategies. Am Fam Physician 2018; 97(4): 243-51.
- Lagman-Bartolome AM, Lay C. Migraine in women. Neurol Clin 2019; 37(4): 835-45.
- Charles A. The migraine aura. Continuum (Minneap Minn) 2018; 24(4, Headache): 1009-22.
- Weatherall MW. The diagnosis and treatment of chronic migraine. Ther Adv Chronic Dis 2015; 6(3): 115-23.
- Sutherland HG, Griffiths LR. Genetics of migraine: Insights into the molecular basis of migraine disorders. Headache 2017; 57(4): 537-69.
- Abanoz Y, Gulen AY, Gunduz A, Uluduz D, Ince B, Yavuz B, et al. Migraine as a risk factor for young patients with ischemic stroke: A case-control study. Neurol Sci 2017; 38(4): 611-7.
- Spalice A, Del BF, Papetti L, Zicari AM, Properzi E, Occasi F, et al. Stroke and migraine is there a possible comorbidity? Ital J Pediatr 2016; 42: 41.
- Malik R, Winsvold B, Auffenberg E, Dichgans M, Freilinger T. The migraine-stroke connection: A genetic perspective. Cephalalgia 2016; 36(7): 658-68.
- Ha H, Gonzalez A. Migraine headache prophylaxis. Am Fam Physician 2019; 99(1): 17-24.
- Diener HC, Tfelt-Hansen P, Dahlof C, Lainez MJ, Sandrini G, Wang SJ, et al. Topiramate in migraine prophylaxis--results from a placebo-controlled trial with propranolol as an active control. J Neurol 2004; 251(8): 943-50.
- Medrano V, Sempere AP, Morera-Guitart J, Fernandez-Izquierdo S, Espinosa-Martinez J. Preventive treatment with topiramate enhances the quality of life of patients with migraine. Rev Neurol 2006; 43(5): 259-63. [In Spanish].
- Diener HC, Bussone G, Van Oene JC, Lahaye M, Schwalen S, Goadsby PJ. Topiramate reduces headache days in chronic migraine: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Cephalalgia 2007; 27(7): 814-23.
- Bartolini M, Silvestrini M, Taffi R, Lanciotti C, Luconi R, Capecci M, et al. Efficacy of topiramate and valproate in chronic migraine. Clin Neuropharmacol 2005; 28(6): 277-9.
- Diamond M, Dahlof C, Papadopoulos G, Neto W, Wu SC. Topiramate improves health-related quality of life when used to prevent migraine. Headache 2005; 45(8): 1023-30.
- Silberstein SD. Topiramate in migraine prevention: A 2016 perspective. Headache 2017; 57(1): 165-78.
- Gooriah R, Nimeri R, Ahmed F. Evidence-based treatments for adults with migraine. Pain Res Treat 2015; 2015: 629382.
- Brandes JL, Saper JR, Diamond M, Couch JR, Lewis DW, Schmitt J, et al. Topiramate for migraine prevention: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2004; 291(8): 965-73.
- Silberstein SD, Lipton RB, Dodick DW, Freitag FG, Ramadan N, Mathew N, et al. Efficacy and safety of topiramate for the treatment of chronic migraine: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Headache 2007; 47(2): 170-80.
- Zandifar A, Asgari F, Haghdoost F, Masjedi SS, Manouchehri N, Banihashemi M, et al. Reliability and validity of the migraine disability assessment scale among migraine and tension type headache in Iranian patients. Biomed Res Int 2014; 2014: 978064.
- Karadas O, Gul HL, Ozturk B, Eroglu E, Demirkaya S. The effects of topiramate therapy on cerebral metabolism in migraine with aura patients. Turk Neurosurg 2014; 24(5): 704-9.
- Silberstein SD, Hulihan J, Karim MR, Wu SC, Jordan D, Karvois D, et al. Efficacy and tolerability of topiramate 200 mg/d in the prevention of migraine with/without aura in adults: a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind, 12-week pilot study. Clin Ther 2006; 28(7): 1002-11.
- Choudhary MU, Nawaz J, Saddique M, Zameer A. Comparison between Topiramate and Sodium Valproate Efficacy in the Treatment of Migraine. Pak J Med Health Sci 2017; 11(3): 1005-7.
- Zain S, Khan M, Alam R, Zafar I, Ahmed S. Comparison of efficacy and safety of topiramate with gabapentin in migraine prophylaxis: randomized open label control trial. J Pak Med Assoc 2013; 63(1): 3-7.
- Reuter U, Sanchez Del RM, Diener HC, Allais G, Davies B, Gendolla A, et al. Migraines with and without aura and their response to preventive therapy with topiramate. Cephalalgia 2010; 30(5): 543-51.